Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Cyclamen's cycle of life

This cyclamen is another plant that came back from the dead. You can see in the top 2 photos that the leaves grow out from a round tuber. At one point all that was remaining of this plant was the tuber and roots into the soil. Recently this spring it has come back with the sun and good watering, and has sprouted a full array of new leaves. The flowers are white, and I hope it will blossom again.

Symbolism
I read according to folklore a woman in labor can wear a cyclamen flower to speed up her delivery, but she should never come in contact with the flower early in her pregnancy because it creates the risk that she will abort. The flowers also contain a toxin, and are thought to counteract poison from certain snake bites.

According to some sources on Wiccan beliefs, the flower is thought to represent farewell, death and resignation because it is the only flower still blooming in the winter months when other flowers are gone for the cold spell.

I found 2 poems that relate the cyclamen to the deaths of children:

The gentle cyclamen with dewy eye
Breathes o'er her lifeless babe the parting sigh:
and bending low to earth, with pious hands
inhumes her dear departed in the sandss
"Sweet nursling! withering in thy tender hour.
Oh, sleep, " she cries, "and rise a fairer flower!"

-Erasmus Darwin (1731 - 1802)

Illusions are children
who went out to find cyclamens in the field
and never came back

-
Yehuda Amichai








No comments:

Post a Comment