Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dried flowers aren't just for great grandma



Dried roses
I've always felt bittersweet about receiving a gift of flowers. On one hand the gift represents the loving thoughtfulness of someone who cares about me, and yet this sweet fragrant gift will soon shrivel up and die. In an attempt to honor the short life that such flowers lived in order to become a bouquet in my home, I often hang them to dry and then display them somewhere as an offering and preservation of nature. The flowers that don't dry in full-flower shapely condition become a pile of petals used for potpourri. Their fragrance lasts for many months beyond being dried.

Symbolism
The tradition of giving flowers to loved ones became a very important gift long ago because a suitor or lover could secretly (or not so secretly) express important symbolic messages depending on the type of flower given.

White roses, like most white flowers, often represent purity and innocence. When used at weddings, the white rose represents the virtue of a new vow of love.

3 comments:

  1. This grammy loves dried flowers! My favorite flower to dry is sea lavender and that white frosty puffy flower that grows in all fields in Maine...for the life of me I can't remember the name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh, dried sea lavender sounds lovely! I would be happy to add a photo of your dried flowers to the blog - if you have one, email to me at

    ReplyDelete