Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Philodendrons love to shower


This heart-leaf philodendron is thriving on the ledge above my shower. The indirect sunlight that filters in through the mottled window, combined with the moisture from the shower seems to be just the right combination to keep this plant happy without much fuss.

Philodendrons are one type of houseplant that is known to turn carbon dioxide in the air in our homes into oxygen, and also absorbs pollutants. Most of us know that plants are great for improving the air quality in nature, and in the same vein, many plants are also excellent for improving air quality in our homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment