Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Djembes transformed into plant pots




I wish I could take credit for this brilliant idea. My boyfriend works for a drum company and salvaged some discarded djembe hand drums that were no longer useful as instruments. He created a plant pot inside each drum by fashioning a base filter out of wire mesh and inserted inside each drum where it curves inward, at its 'waist' as I call it. This created a perfect drainage system for the soil and both the fern and the tropical frond plant shown above have been thriving ever since. I adore resourceful re-purposing of discarded objects, so this is probably my favorite urban garden invention that we have in our home. Thanks for adding creative plant love to our home, J!

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine that discarded djembes are easy to come by, but now I'm gonna be on the lookout for them. This is pretty brilliant.

    I'd also like to note that DJEMBE is not a valid word in North American Scrabble, but it is valid internationally.

    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am appalled - you need to appeal the Scrabble association on that one! Maybe we can ship a salvaged old drum to you one of these days. Take care Lucas.

    ReplyDelete