Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Picasso and I, working on a vineyard

This philodendron plant makes me think of working in fields of grape vines...it helps this fantasy that it hangs out in our kitchen next to the wine rack and glasses. It creates a nice curtain to the corner of the kitchen, and reminds me to eat bright greens and add fresh herbs to our food.

This may actually be a pothos plant, but doesn't seem to have the mottled white or yellow striations that pothos are known to have, so I'll stick with philodendron for now.

This plant does well with filtered sunlight that comes in through the sliding glass doors across the room. It takes plenty of water, and after freshly watering I will see small droplets appear on the tips of the leaves at the very bottom vines, so it's clear that the plant is doing its job of distributing water to every stem.


Symbolism & history
To pagans, the philodendron plant has long been considered a symbol of health, to others, it is thought to be an emblem for abundance and wealth. As a gift, these plants are frequently given in pots or hanging baskets to welcome neighborhood newcomers; to those who have just purchased their first home; or to wish the recipient well as they move on to a new path.

The philodendron plant is absolutely one of the most popular houseplants today, but the history of its collection can be dated as far back as 1644, when the German naturalist Georg Marcgrave began acquiring them from the wild. Many other explorers sought to find out more about this extensive genus; the first such exploration was done by Charles Plumier, who managed to gather and classify at least six new species.

In the United States, the philodendron did not really take off until the mid-1930s when a nurseryman by the name of John Masek noticed the potential of this plant. Considering that they were easy to grow, not to mention low maintenance, he began propagating and selling them to florist shops.

Pablo Picasso frequently used these plants to shape unusual scenes – such as his 1929 work, “Woman in the Garden,” where the nymph Daphne was transformed into a large brush of vines.


symbolism and history source: http://flowerinfo.org/philodendron-plants



No comments:

Post a Comment