Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Schefflera, or easier to pronounce as 'Umbrella Tree'



The schefflera is a common and hardy houseplant, which is known as the umbrella tree because of how each cluster of leaves fans out and arches downward like the shape of an umbrella.

Common problems
My scheff lost a lot of leaves this past fall. The leaves started to fall off in bunches, likely due to a natural seasonal shedding process and a result of having moved the plant from a sunny spot in one apartment to a spot in another with much less light. From what I've read, the scheff needs to be gradually brought from one lighting situation to another, especially if moving from an outdoor location to an indoor one. I'm happy to say that my plant has been pretty stable over the past several months, no more leaf loss and has new growth. It is receiving indirect sunlight for several hours a day from the window that most of the branches are reaching toward. A note, if this plant has too much water its leaves will turn black, or if it doesn't have enough water the leaves will turn yellow.

Symbolism
According to a Feng Shui Artist, having this plant in your home is the symbol of good fortune.

The turtle design that I drew and pasted onto the plant pot has its own symbolism of wisdom, growth and taking one step at a time to reach our goals. Many indigenous tales about the turtle tell stories of this animal's shell representing the world and all of creation that dwells on it. Another way to view the turtle's shell is like a mobile home, so this creature is always ready for soul seeking adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment