Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Help! norfolk pine failing to remain ever-green

This Norfolk Pine was purchased at Lucky Plants in Santa Monica, CA. I had it in my home for several months around the winter holidays. It was so plush and green then (not seen here), and the needles grew in cylindrical fashion around each stem and were soft to touch. So soft and smooth, in fact, that I would pass by the plant and be impulsed to actually pet it.

This photo was taken recently, after the plant has almost completely dried up, lost many needles and branches and what's left has become brittle. The top portion seemed to be surviving for awhile, but eventually the rest of it was getting so dry that I had to put it outside in attempt to bring it back to life. It's remained well-watered, so the only thing I can think is that it didn't get enough sunlight.

Does anyone have knowledge about the norfolk pine that can help bring it back to life? I've never owned a potted evergreen tree, so perhaps this is the natural process similar to in cold climate forests where many needles drop and then they are renewed in the spring. However, this plant is known for staying green all winter, hence the symbolic meanings you'll find below. Regardless, any tips would be much appreciated. Advice, please!

Symbolism
Many evergreen trees, including pine, holly, spruce and mistletoe are thought to hold power against the darker magics of winter. This is a myth commonly found in Pagan and Wiccan beliefs coming from cold northern climates around the world where the evergreen species are named such because it's the only plant that remains green through the dark, gray, lifeless winter.

Here is a blessing that I found and read during a small ceremony with my love around this pine tree, to bless our home, our relationship and our loved ones as the new year approached.

By the powers of earth, we bless this tree, that it shall remain sacred, a symbol of life.

By the powers of air
, we bless this tree as the cool winter winds blow away the baggage of the old year and we welcome the brightness of the new into our hearts and home.

By the powers of fire
, we bless this tree, as the days have gotten shorter and the nights grown dark, yet the warmth of the sun is returning, bringing with it life.

By the powers of water
, we bless this tree, a gift we give, that it may stay bright and green so that we can enjoy the harmony and peace of life.

1 comment:

  1. I received some advice from a co-worker with expertise in gardening and landscaping. She said that the Norfolk Pine does not like to be over-watered. I had been dowsing it continuously because it seemed intuitive that if it was dry and brittle to hydrate it. Turns out this could be part of the problem. I will be bringing it to a friend's home to dry out in a sunnier spot than I can provide and see if it comes back to life. Thanks to Barbara and Claire!

    ReplyDelete