Welcome to the "Urban Plant & Garden Deck" by L.A.Deck: Here you will find images of plants in my small patio garden and in my home, along with tips on successes and failures of their care. You will also find notes and essays on the symbolism of plants and their links to history. I am inspired by farmers in my family, including my maternal grandmother Olive who has lived, worked, loved & raised children, animals & plants, in the beautiful Vermont countryside her entire life. Plants have been tended to at every home I have had and continue to nurture me with better air quality, and a sense of connection to natural elements, even now while I reside in the vastly populated urban setting of Los Angeles. This is my way to honor the roots that help keep me connected to my ideals, dreams & loves.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lily love comes back to life

This asiatic lily is a perennial, which means it's a flower that seems to die, but is actually hibernating for a period and then emerges each spring renewed with new growth and blossoms. I bought this lily last summer when it was brilliantly blossoming without realizing it was a perennial, so after all the flowers fell off and the stems browned and died, I thought I had destroyed it. Luckily I didn't trash it, but just set it out of sight on my patio. I was sad and embarrassed to have murdered the sweet little plant! This was last July, and just recently in February I happened to noticed something green behind a table on the patio and was ecstatic to discover this little gem had come back to life with new stalks and full bright leaves. At that point I realized I had a bulb perennial and paraded it around the apartment trying to get my boyfriend to understand the treasure I had just discovered. I am excited to see what color the blossoms are; I remember them as yellow, but cannot quite remember so it will be a nice surprise this spring.

April update: it's looking like a shade of purple.

Symbolism
I have found a lot of meaning related to the Christian religion - the lily representing purity, chastity and innocence. The Virgin Mary is often seen with white lilies, and the ones that have 3 petals are thought to represent the holy trinity. In other sources I've seen the flower related to sexuality and fertility, mainly because of the phallic pistil that protrudes from the center of the flower.


















4/27/11: Aha! it has blossomed, the color mystery is solved.














1 comment:

  1. I received some suggestions for naming the color of this lily from friends:
    "guava"
    "over ripened watermelon"
    "carroty with a tinge of spring"
    "Romeo and Juliet Sex"

    Anyone else want to chime in?

    ReplyDelete